Thursday, July 06, 2006

Day 11-12 drive to Maine


So, this was easily the scariest drive I've ever been behind the wheel for. All was cool until about 3:00 AM when the first Moose sign appeared. I slowed down and turned on the brights. This may have caused issues for other drivers, except I was literally the only car on the road.

After stopping at a rest stop and reading the Maine DOT's warnings and advice about driving and wildlife, I only became more concerned. Apparently, deer eyes are roughly at headlight level and so reflect well, but moose are too tall and you don't see them until you are slamming into them. When I returned to the road, I drove even slower and began to wish i'd invested in one of those deer whistles.

At around 4:00, I was exhausted after another long Moose Alert zone, so I pulled over for a nap. I woke up at 5:00 to the sun already high in the sky - love those northern summers.

Never saw a moose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the blog Stephen!! scary Moose encounters -- and they are HUGE! glad you didn't have a run-in!